So season 8 of Supernatural came out Wednesday night. I promise this post will be spoiler free. Instead, I want to summarize how a lot of things in Supernatural are. And how using a nifty formula, you can probably predict how it will be for most of the season.
So, we know Dean goes to purgatory. He comes back, much different. I mean spend a year in purgatory and tell me you wouldn’t change. Then there’s Sam. He didn’t spend a year in purgatory. Instead, he spent a year with someone and had a “normal” life. But he leaves her after a year. Or it would appear to be that way. So here’s my nifty formula:
- Dean and Sam spend time apart. This builds a rift between them. Check.
- Neither of the two will ever open up to the other and there will be tension between them because of some secret. But everything is just peachy.
- There’s always some external influence on one of the brothers that affects them in a bad way. But everything is good.
- There’s always a love interest that complicates things.
- There’s always a big blow-up or reveal that causes bad things between the brothers.
Well, it seems like that’s really all there is to a good season of Supernatural. Mix up those things and you could easily have a season of one of the greatest shows on TV. So knowing this, We know that there will be a time when Dean and Sam will get pissed off at each other and it will be so bad they will either fight each other, go separate ways (but not for long), and/or both.
Let’s analyze last night’s episode:
- Dean spends a year in purgatory. This changes Dean. A lot.
- Dean isn’t telling Sam a vital part about purgatory so far.
- The influence is what comes out of purgatory with Dean. (Spoilers!)
- Sam’s year was spent with a girl. But she hasn’t complicated things, or has she?
- It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m sure it will. Sam is going to blow up on Dean about the thing that comes out of purgatory with Dean, and oh, what really happened to Castiel?
So remember, that’s all you need to know to enjoy a season of Supernatural. I’m not saying this because I hate the show. I love the show! I’m just saying, this is a typical thing. See? No spoilers! Did you watch the show or did you DVR it?